<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Good Times, Good Guy :
Good times were the 1980s when I was a youngster fiddling with my Select-A-Tenna AM Radio antenna booster, keeping my ears peeled for what hockey cities I could pull in. From my cold upstate NY wood-panelled room, I'd hear distance voices from NYC (Rangers & Islanders) and New Jersey (Devils). I tuned into the Pittsburgh Penguins and on certain nights the Philadelphia Flyers if the clouds were properly aligned. Oddly, there was nothing coming out of Buffalo, but Detroit and Chicago were in easy reach. One of my favorite pulls on those late n' lonely winter nights, though, was out of Hartford. While "The Whale" were a pretty hapless team at the time, I thought their old-school play-by-play man was one of the best ever. Turns out I wasn't the only one as Chuck Kaiton just got the Hockey Hall of Fame nod. Now with the Carlina Hurricanes, Chuck has missed only 1 game in 25 years. Nice work.