<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 16, 2004

Solid Song of the Week: Spymob : []Sorry, kids. I'm late with the Solid Song of the Week. Not following through on regularity is a swell way to avoid building a loyal readership, so let this be a lesson to us all.

There's a great story behind the band Spymob -- and MTV tells it much better than I could ever hope to, so go read their fine piece.

The track "It Gets Me Going" from Sitting Around Keeping Score (Musicmatch link) is my pick for the week. There are quite a few tracks from this excellent album, but that's the easy single. I have a feeling that some people will intensely dislike this guy's forays into falsetto, but I dig it. "I Still Live At Home" is a musical paean to Hall & Oates with sublime storytelling humor. "National Holidays" is much more sober, lyrically -- but melodically it sticks in my head like an evil gummy worm.

Not likely to ever be a hit, it's going to be a cult fave nonetheless. At some point, someone will have to explain to me why people react so negatively to power pop. Are harmonies and melody too intimidating? Do people find musicianship and songcraft pretentious in this day and age? Who knows?

The Spymob official site isn't popular enough to show up on Google yet, but it's easily and unironically found at spymob.com. I hope you enjoy this.