<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 04, 2004

New Music - Nellie McKay :
[]I've found my new favorite toy. She is a 19-year-old singer from London with some serious attitude named Nellie McKay. In fact, I can't listen to her album, Get Away From Me without getting all giddy and psyched about it. It’s totally irrational. She sings a jazzy sort of cabaret/hip-hop/pop -- infectiously simple and pretty unique to my ear. According to AMG, the title of her album is a play off of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me. That's ballsy. I totally love it. Nellie McKay is the anti-Norah.

Some introductory links

I don't think she will become that popular -- she's too crazy -- but who knows. Her debut album is a double-CD with 9 songs on each. That’s just ridiculous. She is clearly a super-talent though and even if she isn’t massive commercial, I feel she'll probably be around a long time. (But, I said the same thing about MC 900 Ft Jesus) I hope I can get someone to dig this record. The NPR page is probably the best one to check out. Interviews and live tracks do it for me.