<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 23, 2004

User Review of Nufonix.com : Nufonix.com is something of a boutique music download store. In their words: “Nufonix is an independent digital music provider dedicated to bringing you the highest quality electronic dance music in mp3 format.” I stumbled across them linked from 12K.com – a very obscure ambient label. Nufonix features some out-of-print 12K stuff so I checked them out and made a few purchases. Some bullets about the experience The basics were promising, and I was pleased with that aspect of the service.

Some other elements needed some work. It was very difficult to browse the shop. Artist names are not hyperlinked – so getting full lists by artists while browsing was a chore. In fact, all lists had to be generated via the search box or the vague genres. There’s also no way to buy a full album – you have to add all tracks individually. That was annoying. Finally, the generic shopping cart software asked for my shipping address. This never inspires confidence when buying downloads.

I assume that they will work out the kinks in time if they last that long. The content they have is really, really niche. The most mainstream label they carry is probably Om Records. Who else would let you search for your favorite Drill n Bass or glitch/pulse downloads? But, I can’t complain since I was so excited to find out of print minimalist techno 12K stuff from Taylor Deupree -- the first artist I ever e-mailed back in '94. If you’re in the mood to get really out there, you could do worse than to support some artists by using Nufonix.