<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

R.I.Y.L Back to Mine : The same masterminds who keep putting out the Back to Mine compilations -- where an important artist selects the tracks that they would play at their own cribs in an intimate afterparty -- have realized the allure of celeb-generated lists and so they have started the Under The Influence series -- where important artists select the old school tracks with biographical meaning for them.

It's a smart move to enlist these names to sell otherwise nondescript catalog tracks. The tracks are probably owned by other labels, but hopefully, DMC gets the songs cleared for reasonable rates, and they can make a few bucks off fun project and interesting projects.

I have been meaning to check out the Morrissey collection for Under the Influence and these other names look interesting as well. I will admit that the past few BTM comps have started to feel a little jumbly, a little ephemeral -- they are interesting the first listen, but you dont want to repeatedly listen to familiar old Cure tracks. The first ones were cool because the tracks were obscure and were new to me. The Audio Bullys' edition had too many tracks that I already knew from the old days that I dont need to hear more than once every 12 months. I have yet to pick up Death in Vegas' BTM.