<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 12, 2003

: Torn Between Two Retailers: Billboard Bulletin reports that "[a] group of independent music retailers has filed a class-action lawsuit against Best Buy, alleging that the chain violates U.S. antitrust laws, as well as California state laws, that govern loss-leader selling, the strategy of pricing product below cost." I love that Best Buy sometimes has new releases for as little as $6.99. I'm sad that it hurts indie stores that have a better variety -- especially since local heaven-on-earth shop Lou's Records is a plaintiff in this case. For me, the two places fulfill completely different roles - Best Buy for the occasional impulse on a major label "breaking artist" and Lou's for the niche hard-to-find CDs. I'd like to buy Hot Hot Heat at BB for $6.99 and then go to Lou's and spend $12.99 on something from Thievery Corporation. Unfortunately, it seems Lou's needs me to get the major label stuff there too in order for that shop to prosper. I hope Best Buy wins, but that Lou's and other indie stores continue to survive anyway. Failing that, I'd rather see an indie store with great variety more than insane low prices on occasional major label releases.